Freelance: Mark Hunt’s UFC 200 Lawsuit Moves Forward
“The Super Samoan” will have his day in court against the world leader in mixed martial arts. MMAFighting.com recently reported that will continue on through the legal system after the UFC’s motion to dismiss failed, although the complaint, filed with the U.S. District Court (District of Nevada) has been amended. The complaint alleges the committing of racketeering, fraud, battery and civil conspiracy on the part of the UFC, UFC President Dana White and former fighter and current WWE superstar Brock Lesnar.
The conspiracy aspect of the complaint revolves around Lesnar’s failed UFC 200 drug tests. Read the full document here. Lesnar tested for clomiphene out of competition and on fight night (July 9, 2016.) It is alleged that White and the UFC knew that Lesnar was the using performance-enhancing drug (PED) and “pushed back” the signing of the official bout agreement to allow Lesnar to compete as the pre-fight drug test results did not come back until after the event hand already taken place.
“LESNAR, WHITE, and UFC, acted in concert as set forth fully above, to defraud HUNT and commit a battery against HUNT by a scheme to knowingly pit HUNT, a clean fighter, against LESNAR, a doping fighter, to the wrongful benefit of Defendants and to the detriment of HUNT.”
White addressed Hunts early concerns via text, saying before the event that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) were rigorously testing the Minnesota native. Although the UFC granted him a waiver from being in the USADA testing pool for the mandatory four months so that he could compete.
The professional wrestler had his UFC 200 unanimous decision victory overturned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) and he was fined $250,000. The fine is widely considered by the MMA community to be a laughable fraction of his purse. Lesnar’s side of the equation claimed back in October of last year that the clomiphene may have come from a combination of eye medication and foot cream.
The failed tests of previous Hunt opponents Frank Mir, Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, and as MMAFighting put it, a “sketchy” test on the part of the soon-retiring Vitor “The Phenom” ahead Belfort (who has a highly publicized history of using testosterone replacement therapy or TRT) ahead of facing Jon “Bones” Jones in 2012 are all reference in the paperwork to show the organization handles PED use.
Hunt seeks compensatory, treble, and adequate punitive damages against the UFC so as to deter future cases of doping while also asking the organization to rid itself of revenue made from “ill-gotten” means. Following UFC 200, Hunt said that he was essentially forced by the UFC to take a fight against another previous opponent also guilty of PED use in Alistair “The Reem” Overeem at UFC 209 and he did so in order to make a living to provide for his family.
He lost the fight by way of third-round knockout due to knee strikes and has not since appeared in the octagon.
The complaint continues, “Had HUNT known of WHITE, UFC and LESNAR’s doping scheme, HUNT would have declined the fight, negotiated a far more lucrative agreement contemplating a clean fighter being subjected to hand-to-hand combat with a doping fighter, or otherwise protected his interests.”
To the possible detriment of the New Zealand-born “King of Walk-Offs,” he had said to the media that he “knew” Lesnar was “juicing,” didn’t care and that Lesnar would be knocked out regardless, a statement that was noted in the organization’s unsuccessful motion to dismiss. The case remains ongoing.