St. Pierre Officially Re-signs with UFC


An over three-year wait to see one of the greatest competitors in MMA fight again is almost over. Georges “Rush” St. Pierre officially signed a new deal with the UFC yesterday, ending his hiatus from the sport.

Negotiations between St. Pierre and new UFC owners WME-IMG had previously stalled with UFC President Dana White insisting that the French-Canadian legend no longer had the desire to compete. This lead to GSP claiming to be a free agent, which the UFC then publicly disputed. The two sides made peace over dinner and re-entered the negotiating stage recently.

GSP will enter the Octagon with an overall record of 25-2 and unbeaten in his last dozen contests. The details of his new agreement were not disclosed as St. Pierre then said that while both he and the UFC had agreed to terms for his return, there was “No opponent, no date” he said to Niel Davidson of the Canadian Press.

“It could be the winner [of the March 4 welterweight title fight] between Tyron Woodley and Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson, or it could be [middleweight champion] Michael Bisping,” White said.

“Georges has also talked about fighting at 155 pounds [lightweight]. He says he can make the weight.

“But I have no idea when he’s going to fight right now. We don’t have anything booked and literally haven’t talked to anybody about it.”

#UFC