Former UFC Champ Mir asks for Release


The time has come. At the age of 37 and after having accomplished possibly every goal in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, Frank Mir has stepped out of the Octagon for the last time. The man with the most fights (27) and wins (16) in the history of the UFC Heavyweight division is still looking to be a part of the sport in new ways.

Mir was suspended by the UFC after failing a post-fight USADA drug test. This is the first instance of test failure in his career and he is currently serving a lengthy suspension.

“As of now I’m under suspension, as of April 2018 I’ll be eligible to fight again the UFC, and even more, as troubling as that is, they have it to where I can’t do any broadcasting,” Mir said as a guest on MMAFighting.com’s The MMA Hour.

Mir continues to claim that he is innocent and is looking for answers for the failure, going so far as to blame potentially tainted kangaroo meant before his last (and currently final) fight in Australia on April 7 which he lost by KO to Mark Hunt in just over three minutes.

“…looked at my savings account and what my kids cost to raise, I realized I have to go make a living,” Mir said. “…I don’t want to lie and be like ‘oh, I’ll get past this.’ It will be one of those things that I’ll be very sad about how this is how I spent 15 years of my life in the UFC, and this is how it ended. It’s not a happy note to end on. It will be one of those things that I’ll chalk up as a regret until the day they put me in the ground.”

As of yet the UFC has not officially granted the release, but Mir would retire as a former UFC Heavyweight and Interim Heavyweight champion with a win loss record of 16-11 as a member of the roster.

#UFC