UFC 196- Dos Anjos Out, Diaz In
Conor McGregor CAN'T be a happy man. The events that have led up to UFC 196 on March 5th have been pretty commonplace for a "Mystic Mac fight--including an opponent switch that changes things entirely. It was announced early yesterday morning that UFC Lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos suffered a broken left foot in training late last week.
MMAFighting.com reported that according to RDA’s coach Rafael Cordeiro, he won’t need surgery, but “can’t put any pressure on it for at least three weeks.” "We were sparring, and Rafael threw a kick at the knee of the kid that was training with him. He immediately stopped kicking, put his foot on the ground, and felt a little pain. He put some ice, and couldn’t walk normally. "He put more ice during the weekend to see if he would be able to train on Monday. On Monday, he contacted the UFC and said what happened. He asked to visit the UFC’s doctor, and they showed the fracture" Cordeiro said in a separate report.
RDA then released the photo to the right on Twitter.
What was supposed to be a history-making occasion that could have resulted in McGregor becoming just the third man in UFC history to hold two belts in two different weight classes (145 and McGregor’s new division of 155 lbs.) and the first to do so simultaneously is now a non-title bout against Nate Diaz at the surprising choice of 170--a two weight class jump. The Diaz match-up was officially announced by the UFC on social media at 11 p.m. CST. Is this possibly a test to see how he would look in that division considering that he is eyeing Welterweight champion Robbie Lawler at UFC 200? It could be… As of right now the co-main event of Holly Holm and Miesha Tate with the Women’s Bantamweight championship is still up for grabs is still safe less that two weeks out from the event.